Aster Solomon – Senior GIS Analyst and Economist
Aster Solomon is a senior GIS Analyst (IT) and Economist. After earning her B.Sc. in Agricultural Economics from Alemaya college of Agriculture, she did a number of other specialized and post-graduate courses in ArcGIS, in Geographic Information System (GIS) for Urban Applications and in Project Planning.
Aster has a rich experience in establishing and managing businesses and large scale projects. She has accumulated vast managerial skills through her over twenty years experience working in government, the private sector and as a consultant in international organizations. During this time Aster has participated in project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Aster is a co-founder and GM of the first GIS services company in Ethiopia, Information Systems Services (ISS), established 15 years ago. As a senior GIS Analyst and Project Manager in ISS, she managed the establishment of the first computerized land information system in the country, the Land Information System for Addis Abeba (1997-2000). Based on the success of this project Aster managed the implementation of similar projects in the cities of Dire Dawa and Mekele. These projects became exemplary for other cities and towns to take the initiative to establish a similar systems thus starting the modernization of urban land management and planning in the country.
In addition to running ISS, Aster has also been engaged in another successful endeavour which is being a founding member of Enat Bank S.C. Promoters Committee and Member of the board of Directors.
As a Founding member of Enat Bank S.C. Promoters Committee she has devoted her energy and time to accomplish the following;
- Participate in the preparation of the concept and objective of the bank.
- Nominate and select the promoters.
- Liasoning to get the temporary permit from the National Bank of Ethiopia.
- Manage and control the service account by being one of the three signatories during the project period.
- Recruitment of senior project staff and establish project office.
- Participate in preparing TOR for the project feasibility study and evaluation.
- Participate in the preparation of marketing strategy and follow up the marketing and share sales.
- Promote the bank by organizing various events for big potential share holders.
- Meet the prominent government officials to get the necessary support.
- Visit government, NGO, business organizations staff to promote and sale shares.
- Select and supervisor the Share Management and Voting Software.
Moreover, Aster Solomon is,
- Founder and Board Director of GIS Society of Ethiopia
- Founding member of American Chamber of Commerce in Ethiopia
- Founding member of Amhara Women Fistula Eradication Organization (NGO)
- Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Association of Women in Business
Currently, Aster is active in business and also engaged in the construction of a family owned Four Star Hotel, in the Bole Area in Addis Abeba. It is scheduled to start service in the first quarter of 2013 and contribute to the reduction of the shortage of international standard hotels in the city.
Share on your socials!